There hasn’t been a lot to update on lately. I’ve just been driving it around a bit, tweaking a few random things here and there, took it to a cruise night, and so on. I haven’t really figured anything out on its idle issues or anything, sadly.
However, since the carb is running lean and a 2 barrel makes a nice upgrade for these engines, I’ve decided to swap over. I found an Autolite 2100 with 1.02” venturis, which flows 245 cfm. My 1.10” venturi Autolite 1100 flows about 150 cfm, so that should make a nice change. The 2100’s part number is 5752305, which is apparently from a ‘58-‘59 Ford Fairlane with a 332. Hopefully it’ll work pretty well on my 200. It does need to be cleaned up a bit.
I purchased an Autolite carburetor adapter from Classic Inlines. It’s a really nice looking piece, but I’m thinking I received the wrong one, as the adapter’s bore is a bit larger than the carb opening in the head. I’m working on getting that figured out. Edit: It’s the correct adapter. The larger adapter uses a different bolt pattern. I’m getting forgetful. :p The discrepancy in size is due to the carb bore in the head varying a little over the years, so the adapters are made for the larger bores so as to not restrict flow on them.
I did a mock-up install of the carb to determine how much clearance I have for the air cleaner. I measured from the top of the intake manifold to the top of the factory air cleaner with the 1100 still in place, which was about 7.25”. Then I swapped over to the adapter and 2100, and measured from the top of the intake manifold to the carb’s air cleaner mounting flange. This was about 5.25”. So I have at least 2” to work with, as I’m not 100% certain how much space there is between the top of the factory setup and the hood. I’m also concerned that if I go with a 14” diameter air cleaner, it’ll hit the ribs on the hood. Because of that, I’ll probably end up going with a 9” or 10” diameter one.