I haven’t been doing a whole lot all that picture worthy lately, just a few things. Due to some sort of city codes, I can only have the car on jack stands when I’m outside with it (no leaving it overnight on them) or on the weekends. That’s slowed progress a little bit.
I got the engine short block and the head back from the shop last week. Engine specs: ‘66 block, bored 0.040 over, hardened valve seats, ‘63 head milled (not sure how much, I’ll probably cc it sometime), Clay Smith 264/264-110LC cam from Classic Inlines, and 302HP valve springs. The shop is pretty sure I’ll have coil bind issues with the valve springs, so I’ll need to check that out before I drop it in. It’ll be a bit before I get around to it though.
I’ve also been making a few random patches on the Mustang to take care of some rust. Still working on finishing one up on the rear frame rail (no pictures… it’s ugly) and one on the rear of the passenger side shock tower. There’s a few other spots in the engine bay and other places that still need to be patched too. I did finish one on the passenger side front frame rail just behind the front crossmember, where a large section had rusted and previously been cut out. That one looks pretty decent in my opinion.
On more major projects, I got the passenger side rear torque box out today (finally!). The leaf spring eye bolt was a major pain… it seems to have rusted to the hardened steel sleeve inside of the bushing. Hit it with a cut off wheel, a tungsten carbide blade on a reciprocating saw, and a hacksaw (yeah, that one was oh so helpful… haha). I eventually decided to just cut the torque box out with the spring still attached and finish cutting it then. So after a lot of cutting and grinding over the past couple days, I got the box out. Then I was able to get the spring bolt out. Hopefully the new torque box goes in without too much difficulty.