I got most of the patching done on the driver’s side shock tower/frame area. I knew there was a little rust through the area, but as I scraped some mud away, chunks of frame started coming out as well. The entire top of the frame rail under the shock tower is gone. Admittedly, my patches in this area are far from perfect and not all that nice looking. I figure at some point in the future (when I have a second car and preferably a garage) I’ll tear the entire front end apart and replace sections. For now, I just wanted something that would be structurally sound and not have to worry about the car falling apart or anything.
The old metal was cleaned up and wire-wheeled, but I couldn’t get it all due to the space limitations. I primered the area inside the frame rail and bottom of the patch I made, then welded it in. The vertical piece on the shock tower is done the same way. Just lap welds, not butt welds. It doesn’t look too terrible though, and I’ll probably clean it up a little more tomorrow, and maybe add a little bracing.