I haven’t been messing with the Mustang quite as much lately. It also developed a hot start issue last night. I drove it to church, and it wouldn’t start afterward. I ended up getting a ride, then came back later and it started okay. It did the same thing later—got home, let it sit for an hour, wouldn’t start, no problem starting today. It only does it after sitting for awhile though—it was fine if I shut it off for just a few minutes. Not really sure what’s causing it, if it’s vapor lock or something in the ignition getting too hot.
I purchased a domain name a couple weeks ago for this blog. Right now it just redirects to its old address, but at some point I’ll likely change it so that the new address is the primary one. I’ll try to keep a redirect from the current address for awhile, though. The new site is http://www.65ssg.net
I replaced the battery and starter cables with NAPA Mileage Plus ones since the old ones had some corrosion and were the wrong lengths. Not very exciting.
After the Mopar ignition module died, I ended up deciding to try an HEI module. I got a Mallory 607 module from Summit, and redid my wiring to have the right connections. Since it needs a heatsink, I decided to remove the potting and electronics from the Mopar box and place the HEI module inside of that. That would let the box be the heatsink, and since it has the copper plate I figured it should be fine.
At first the HEI seemed to smooth things out a little bit, but then it went back to the way it was, or at least close. Since I didn’t drive it much with the Mopar box, and it’s been awhile since I had the points dist in, it’s hard to say for sure. I’m also still running the stock resistor wire, so that may not be helping. The instructions for the coil say to retain the stock resistor when being used on a 6 cylinder, but since HEI modules generally have variable dwell, I may not need it.
As far as carburetors go, they don’t seem to like me very much. All of my driving has been on the 1100 still. I picked up a new jet for it (0.064 from Mike’s Carburetor Parts) to hopefully richen it up a little bit. The opening in the new one is around the same size as the old one, which was a 53F, so I’m not sure how much it’s actually helping. It feels a little bit better maybe, but I don’t think it’s rich enough yet.
The 2100 still won’t cooperate at all. I got a power valve block off for it, thinking maybe the rebuild kit’s pv was opening at idle. It didn’t make a difference. I also got Holley 51 jets for it, but could only install one of them. The other jet is very stuck, and nothing I tried was getting it out. I’m kind of out of ideas on it. I tried it again today and it’s still hard to start, and won’t idle at all right now. If I hold the throttle to around 1500-2000 rpm it’ll run, but that’s it, and it’s response lags.
Wheel well paint:
I also repainted the rear wheel wells. Just some brush-on Rustoleum Clean Metal Primer and Satin Black top coat, the same combo I used on the floor pans. I think it looks pretty good.
That’s about it for now.